Sunday, December 28, 2008

Back to work!

Well, it’s back to work. I have a morning appointment, but if I don’t hit the books tomorrow, I’m in big trouble. I’ve had five days off studies, and it’s created havoc on the momentum built up since my trip to Springfield for classes. This coming week is my deadline to finish research for a paper due mid-January. Editing takes longer than fact-finding, so if I can’t research and write this week, I’ll toss in the towel for the project.

The house is a jumble from lots of company, happy conversations, and multiple meals. One child is moving back home tomorrow. Another is visiting from out of town and will pick up her girlfriend from the airport tomorrow. I’m realizing that time is the most precious commodity I have – and giving it away is the biggest sacrifice of this season. I love my kids, my family, and my friends and love to spend hours with them. But there’s a little voice in my head that is counting down the calendar for work I may not get done.

Jesus modeled what is important for me as a Christian – people, not information or projects. So even as I have occasionally chafed internally at days flowing by without a lick of study, or as I’ve woken in a cold sweat at night, wondering when I’ll get things done, I’ve had to put my time in God’s hands. I’m reminded to rest in his provision, content that the days he gives will be long enough and empty enough, and that I’ll have enough clear thinking to do the tasks he’s put on the calendar.

It will be a Happy New Year in a few days, because he walks into 2009 with us.

Read more:
*I trust in the LORD for protection. So why do you say to me, "Fly like a bird to the mountains for safety! The wicked are stringing their bows and fitting their arrows on the bowstrings. They shoot from the shadows at those whose hearts are right. The foundations of law and order have collapsed. What can the righteous do?"

But the LORD is in his holy Temple; the LORD still rules from heaven. He watches everyone closely, examining every person on earth. . . .For the righteous LORD loves justice. The virtuous will see his face." Psalm 11:1–4, 7 NLT

* Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ. Moved by the Spirit he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for the revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel." Luke 2:25-32 NIV

*Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment