Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Quiescent

The Word of the Day from MW for August 22 is: quiescent \kwy-ESS-unt\ adjective

*1 : marked by inactivity or repose : tranquilly at rest
2 : causing no trouble or symptoms

Example sentence:
The storm was over, and the quiescent waters betrayed no sign of yesterday's turbulence.


I want my life to be marked by periods of rest that refresh me and those around me. I’m pretty good at dropping out when I feel overwhelmed. But in the throes of the university start-up, it’s easy to lose sight of tasks as God’s work on God’s schedule. Today, a faculty wife and I host the parent lounge. I walked up yesterday to see what was what in the big new space we’ll be in. It felt cold and a bit sterile, but the modern furniture and clutter-free space is inspiring. Great for a Health and Science Center.


After work last night, W and I picked up two freebees to warm up the space for today. God had dropped into my heart to ask for a shag area rug last week. Remember shag carpet from the 70s? Well, it’s back in all the trendy magazines and commercial spaces. I admit that the building manager had blanched a little when I mentioned what came to mind.


I posted “WANTED: big area rug for non-profit lounge. Must be clean, good condition. (Kirkland)” in the www.freecycle.org header. Then I waited to see what would happen. [For those of you not in the know, Freecycle is an international website where people recycle “too good to toss” stuff to others who need it. Check it out for your region.]


Someone emailed me that they had an 8’X10’ brown shag rug, used a few months, in perfect condition. Did I want it? Of course, since I'd thought "shag rug" for the first time in years during prayer. Although "brown" could be anything. I tried to imagine what color it would be… “Trust me,” came the familiar voice. The homeowner’s husband helped put it in the Blazer.


“What on earth do you want this for?” Waldemar asked, heaving it into the garage from our car after work. “I’ll put it in the garage so I can dry off after a swim if it’s not the right thing for Northwest,” I assured him. “The edge binding is new.” (We didn’t unroll it.)


Then we went to another house in the evening to pick up the “OFFER: glass coffee table (Lake City Way)” I was leery about that one, too. What if it was tippy? The voice assured me. It had two small concrete pedestals that didn’t look like they’d support the table top. Oh well. Planter bases. They’d be good for that.


We brought the freebees in with us early this morning. Waldemar and his hand cart moved a 12’ Norfolk Island pine from its outgrown space in the Alumni Lounge. We unrolled the rug in front of the fireplace in the new lounge. Vacuumed it. The edges lay flat.


It’s absolutely the perfect color. Its between-taupe/brown/neutral-that-I-wouldn’t-have-picked-out-in-a-store matches the furnishing as though a decorator picked it. (All God’s colors match.) We pulled two maple end tables into the centre, very sturdy… they slid under the glass topper with a half inch to spare, as though custom fitted. The glass top has rounded edges so it’s safe as well as stable. And it doesn’t mix up the design. Who knew?! We pulled a few red armchairs around – and the fireplace lounge is a classy, contemporary space that feels welcoming. (Ok, so I moved around the rest of the furniture into conversation groups, too.)


The project manager came running out after me as I was on my way to the car. “It’s great!” he said. Which was what I was thinking in pure astonishment. I’m resting at my desk for a few minutes. In a quiescent space of pleasure at God’s good eye and choices for us. Amazed that he allows us to co-create for free when we show up with what’s at hand. When I have time to take a picture, I might send it your way.


Read more: (Thanks, Tillie for the verse of the day)

The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.


All you have made will praise you, O Lord; your saints will extol you. They will tell of the glory of your kingdom and speak of your might, so that all men may know of your mighty acts and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. Psalm 145:8-13 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment