Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy New Year

The first post of the New Year is overdue. Readers have asked if I am still writing, after almost two weeks of silence. Of course I am writing. I write every day.

But there are limited words in a day, and mine have been going into a monster paper that needs hacking down to size and wrestling into the ground. It's blocking everything else on my plate. If nothing else, this year has confirmed that big projects can be milestones or just millstones around the neck of progress.

The end of the year brings evaluation, often forgotten before new resolutions are made. I am reading the writing of four women missionaries from the early C20. Their stamina, humanity, and frailty mix in poignant words of grace, love for others, and despair of survival.

I feel like a spiritual dwarf, peering in through the keyhole of giants. May God be with each of us this coming year, to do with all our hearts what he has designed for us. May he be pleased with us, should he give us time to look back a year from now.

Read more:
*But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. Genesis 6:8 NIV

*he LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent. Moses said to the LORD, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favor with me.' If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people." Exodus 33:11-13 NIV

*And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. Luke 2:52 NIV

*As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation. We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. 2 Corinthians 6:1-3 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment