Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thank you, Dr. King

What a week it’s been for our kids and us. Kirsten called Sunday to ask for prayer for her arthritic knee, which is beginning to scrape bone on bone. We’re asking God to heal and/or postpone her replacement surgery. Monday, Jono started classes as a Junior at Northwest. Thursday, Jeremy and Rebekah got engaged to marry in May. Friday, Timothy and Melissa resigned from being youth pastors.

Thursday, I sent the project I have been working on for months to the committee that reviews conference papers. I don’t have to present it until March. So it’s onward-ho to the next paper and a take-home exam due this week. I’m hoping for good progress tomorrow. W bought the grout for the master bath shower he’s been building since September. I bought material with integral loops for the shower curtain and eagerly anticipate the curtain rod being moved from floor storage to ceiling mount.

Friday, W submitted suggested revisions for a denominational doctrine committee. Yesterday, I ventured down the basement steps to find 50 things to toss – two bags, one box, and about 80 things later, I came back upstairs having made barely a dent. Kids leave a lot of debris when they move out, and we have been packrats for years. “Recovering Packrats Anonymous,” please include W and me in your next meeting! Before 9pm last night, as he was falling asleep, W mumbled, “I can’t figure out why I’m so tired.” Fortunately, the human body is self-limiting. We can push, but the boundaries of endurance are set.


This long weekend honoring Martin Luther King Junior is a time to think about one person’s influence on a nation’s accomplishments, dreams, and realignment with God’s work among us. I’m happy for the day off, and am going to be reflecting, resting, and writing. How about you?


Read more:
*And Abraham's faith did not weaken, even though, at about 100 years of age, he figured his body was as good as dead—and so was Sarah's womb. … He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. Romans 4:19, 21NLT

*The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 NIV

*(Jesus) "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." Matthew 12:50 NIV

* Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6:10 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment