Thursday, February 19, 2009

What a difference a day makes

Cough cough. I’m grateful for remote computers so I can work from home. I have a nasty flu, complete with dry throat, coughing, runny nose, and headache. But I’m happy.

This week brought several bits of news to define the months ahead. Our daughter arranged knee replacement surgery in Seattle. Best of all, it’s less than two weeks after big brother Jeremy’s wedding to Rebekah. One flight this way and back. Kirsten can’t wait to show her surgeon that she’s gained weight and is otherwise doing fine – he’s seen her through four operations and always worried about her frail health. And we’re glad to be able to care for her at home during recovery.

The seminary coordinator wrote students yesterday that AGTS has received permission for a new PhD in Intercultural Studies. Those in the D. Miss program (study of missions) can upgrade to the new degree. Ah, if it hadn’t come through I would have finished my class work this summer, but this tacks on an extra year for a more useful degree. Because I haven’t spent my life in overseas missions or with a missions organization, there’s occasionally doubt that I belong in the company of intercultural professionals. All I know is what I hear when I read scripture and pray – and that is to keep moving ahead.

Good news, more planning for Monday’s national missions faculty conference… what a difference an ordinary day makes in the long run of life.

Read more:
*For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me
with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV

*[Jesus]"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one." John 10: 27-30 NLT

*And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. …Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won't he also give us everything else? Romans 8:28, 32 NLT

*God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. Hebrews 1:1-3 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment