Sunday, November 1, 2009

I know just what to do

Some people have a lot of irons in the fire. The assumption is that they'll eventually get burned, taking on something hot without paying attention. I'm not so sure about that.

There's a specialization that comes from experience. My mom is better at running a household than anyone I know. She cleans a clean house and makes jam before her shelves are empty. Her warm hospitality and preparations means anyone can drop by at any time... and eat well, too.

My brother knows just what to say at the right time. He has a gift for attuned attention, telling people what is true in the way that they want to hear. The secret to his success in real estate? "Find out what they really want, not what they say they want... and give it to them."

Our friend Ed is better at diagnosing cars and getting them back on the road than anyone we know. He's blessed students and employees at the university with great service and fair prices. He's a practical, built it and fix it kind of guy with a wide-ranging skill set.

What do they have in common? They have practiced their craft. They know how to do what they are doing. Over long years, they get better and quicker... the work gets easier based on possibilities honed by experience.

Whatever our latest interest, my husband and I have books beside the bed explaining others' experiences and advice. By the time we try a new venture, we have researched and watched people's shortcuts and ideas. W knows about bicycles, construction, houseboats, electronics, theology. I understand design and decor, crafts, food, writing, music, and connecting people.

With each new acquisition, the other projects are easier to start -- or harder. We know what's involved, and that it takes more rather than less time to accomplish a worthwhile goal. What a relief when we're at wit's end, looking for help, and someone else walks by and says, "I know just what to do."

Read more:
*He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8 NIV

*Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:6-11 NIV

*(Jesus said,) Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. Luke 6:37-38

No comments:

Post a Comment