Thursday, February 18, 2010

Flexuous

Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Day

flexuous \FLEK-shuh-wus\ adjective

Meaning
*1 : having curves, turns, or windings; 2 : lithe or fluid in action or movement

Example Sentence: The last leg of the trail is a flexuous path leading up the mountain to a spectacular panoramic view of the valley.

My reef tank is a parable of life, full of twists and turns. For months, water levels are stable and the live rock teems with brittle starfish, snails, and zooplankton. Seemingly overnight, little white spots appear on the glass and the coraline algae begins to disappear. Strands of hair algae and bubble algae start to grow, and a fish dies of unknown causes.

The tank is suddenly in crisis. Water chemistry tests normal but another fish dies, the algae erupts throughout the tank, and scum forms on the sides of the aquarium. No amount of scrubbing or water changes seems to help.

There's nothing to do but take the whole thing apart. Two deep buckets of salt water, aquarium brushes, gloves to avoid being stung or scraped on the hard rocks, and five hours of scrubbing. Then reassembly - bliss, clean. Within a week, the bubble algae is starting to come back and I'm pondering the next course of action.

Life seems smooth, things are under control, and a phone call comes. The next wind in the road is that Kirsten's legs are full of spots again. She is in the middle of another flare in her joints, and we are on opposite sides of the country. My stomach clenches, then earnest prayers resume. "Oh God help! Oh God heal! Oh God comfort our child!"

In the flex and flow of life, the path unfolds under his watchful eye and sufficient grace.

Read more:
*I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD, and I will obey your decrees. I call out to you; save me and I will keep your statutes. I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:145-147 NIV

*Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, but a good word makes it glad. The righteous should choose his friends carefully, for the way of the wicked leads them astray. In the way of righteousness is life, and in its pathway there is no death. Proverbs 12:25-26, 28 NKJV

*Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:15-17 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Kirsten's legs! Will she be back in the hospital again?

    ReplyDelete