Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Delegating

MWebster's Word of the Day: delegate \DEL-uh-gayt\verb
Meaning: *1 : to entrust to another; 2 : to appoint as one's representative; 3 : to assign responsibility or authority

Example Sentence: In order to get everything done on time, the committee leader chose to delegate some of the minor tasks to junior members.
Productivity 501 just sent me a list of 100 things I can outsource. I laughed as I read it. I'm the outsource for most of the list. Our kids, who learned to work by doing chores that we didn't have energy for, are grown and gone. My husband is busy, and my servants are appliances.

Instead of delegating tasks to another person, I'm now delegating my time to get things done. Walk or bike when we get up. Make a cup of tea. Get email and write blog (maybe). Then get to work on school stuff. Yesterday was a good day, where the syllabus I had to write got written (late at night), the books I had to review got sorted (afternoon), and the books needing returning to the library got returned (morning).

Even thinking backwards through yesterday, I'm grateful for the work God has delegated to me. I don't have to feel like what I do should be given to others, no matter how menial the jobs may be.

Let's do the best we can with the work God gives us as his representatives. He's promised he won't give us more than we can manage on his behalf. And he's ideally equipped us with skills, gifts, education, and backgrounds to fulfill his purposes.

Read more:
*"If your boss is angry at you, don't quit! A quiet spirit can overcome even great mistakes." Ecclesiastes 10:4 NLT
*Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." 


With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. In that day you will say: "Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you." Isaiah 12:2-6 NIV

*We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors. 2 Corinthians 6:8 NEV

No comments:

Post a Comment