Saturday, November 6, 2010

Just the right time

"Don't leave things until the last minute." I know, I know. But I'm pretty happy about mailing off a grant proposal with 10 minutes to spare on the dated postal stamp. I've been waiting for one official, sealed transcript from a college, and it hadn't come. 

I called Mom and asked her to pray. She did. Right then and there. I printed an excuse note for not having the transcript and slipped an unofficial copy into the envelope. I didn't seal it. God's done miracles before, I figured.

I called the post office to make sure they could put the date stamp on the envelope. "Sorry, ma'am. We've just sent the 2 o'clock mail out, and though we're open until 3, the rest of the day will be stamped "Monday." Great. I tried to call another post office, but their phone was constantly busy. I got through to a fax machine and checked the time. Oh oh. No minutes left. Take my chances.

I wasn't tense or upset by the time I got in the car. Whatever will be, will be... I had tried my best. 

As I backed out of the driveway, I looked over my shoulder to see if the UPS delivery had left it on the back porch. There was "a white envelope! I wonder..." I exclaimed, jumping out of the car. Sure enough. They had left it in the wet at a door no one uses ($32 overnight delivery last week) but at least it had arrived.

I got into a long line at the post office, but they gave me a confirmation slip that it went out the correct day. I made it home about the time they were closing. Whew. Life can be funny but things often work out in the nick of time.


Read more:
*Have you given the horse its strength or clothed its neck with a flowing mane? Did you give it the ability to leap like a locust? Its majestic snorting is terrifying! It paws the earth and rejoices in its strength when it charges out to battle. It laughs at fear and is unafraid. It does not run from the sword. The arrows rattle against it, and the spear and javelin flash. It paws the ground fiercely and rushes forward into battle when the ram's horn blows. It snorts at the sound of the horn. It senses the battle in the distance. It quivers at the captain's commands and the noise of battle. Job 39:19–25 NLT

*For God says, "At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you." Indeed, the "right time" is now. Today is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6:2 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment