Monday, February 28, 2011

One more time...

Anything worth pursuing is worth hard work. Maybe even worth excruciating effort! That's a common assumption, along the lines of "No pain, no gain."


I think Christians in various fields forget that it is not our duty to make things harder for people to succeed. Just because something is challenging in our past, we don't have to make others' paths more difficult. As part of the same family, loving and working to build the Kingdom of God, we should be striving to make God's words and work more accessible for those inside and out.


Two of us are working toward the same goal. Neither of us are mentally inept. We like the people we're working with. But we're both having trouble understanding written instructions and conversations designed to help us with our project. Rather than making our task easier, every interaction seems to muddle our thinking more. We get one part right, only to be asked for additional changes in the other areas (more than once or twice). Part of the problem is that our project and its guidelines are evolving, a bit of a moving target as the team searches for clarity and focus.

When I suggest to my coworker that the instructions themselves might be the problem, I hear a sigh of relief via IM. "You just gave me a virtual hug," said my friend. "I thought I was going crazy." Yeah, so did I.

Some people - like my husband - are excellent at converting convoluted realities into simple truths. They provide administrative freedom along with clarity of task. They are fun to work for... and with, because it's easy to track progress, understand instructions, and move toward clearly defined goals.

Have you ever had a boss or coach with these skills? If so, how did that affect the quality and speed of your performance? If you're in process, what would you like to hear from those overseeing your work?

Or if you're the overseer, how can you be more clear and specific in mentoring or assigning tasks? What resources could you make available to streamline a process and help people move ahead?

Meanwhile, our duo is reworking the project one more time. "Maybe this is what they want?" we say to each other hopefully.

Read more:
*I lift up my eyes to the hillswhere does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot sliphe who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD watches over youthe LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harmhe will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.  Psalm 121 NIV

*For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 NLT

*If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 NEV

No comments:

Post a Comment