Friday, April 8, 2011

Lent Day 27: With thanksgiving

"Here's something that you might like. Tell me what you think about it," she said, handing me a book.

It's not like I don't have enough books. I do. I'm surrounded by them. But I trust her judgment, and started to read "One Thousand Gifts." It was both a surprise and a pleasure.

The premise is that happiness comes from a grateful heart. That's hardly a new idea. 

This morning's devotional scripture was a familiar one: Philippians 4:4-7. "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

The book got me thinking about the unexpected things for which we can be grateful, beyond beauty and basic resources. Things like:
  • People who show up unasked, to help others
  • Challenges that are not quite as insurmountable as feared
  • Broad shoulders of a counselor
  • Waters that turn out to be a pleasant swim rather than an uncomfortable dunk
  • Mysteries unveiled as opportunity and education
Jesus seemed always to be aware of God as the source of every blessing. What makes you grateful and happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment