Thursday, November 17, 2011

Feeding the soul

I'm in the middle of an interior remodel. Every morning when I wake, my body is tapping out a worship tune or hymn, or I come up from dreams thinking about some aspect of God's work among us.


Seems like all that listening to scripture and reading the lives of devout missionary ladies is paying off in personal spiritual meditation, even while I'm asleep.


Something I know about the way I work has been confirmed again. When I'm focusing on a very difficult task, I need distractions that pull off energy so I can refocus. Usually I write, as long as it's not connected to my academic work. Walking helps, too. And the dogs appreciate getting outside!


I sent off the first of four tutorials in the middle of the night... and haven't read the print-out to see if it's any good. I heard from the dissertation committee that I can defend a reworked (yes, still to be rewritten) article on January 25... from home. I don't have to fly to Missouri for this one, thank God. The committee and my adviser will tell me more in coming days and week.


Meanwhile, I have about a thousand footnotes and about 200 pages to put into professional formats. Plus what I write has to be coherent. When you have 101 sources, it's hard to synthesize information into a flowing style that also makes sense. 


So... (what else)... I started writing down what I eat. I cook quickly, without much thought beyond assembling what is at hand. If you like food and need inspiration for what to cook, check out the Impulsive Foodie blog out once in a while. Hopefully it will nourish you with good photos and ideas for great food.

I admit it. I'm a totally impulsive cook and consumer. Check out: the The Impulsive Foodie @ http://impulsivefoodie.blogspot.com/

I thank God for brain food, body food, and especially for his Word, which feeds my soul. Ghoosing physical or spiritual food requires obedience to his laws of health and well-being.

What are you feasting on today?


Read more:
*Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.
            His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods.             His love endures forever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords:             His love endures forever.
to him who alone does great wonders,             His love endures forever.  Psalm 136:1-4  NIV

*'These are the LORD's instructions: Each household should gather as much as it needs. Pick up two quarts for each person in your tent.'

So the people of Israel did as they were told. Some gathered a lot, some only a little. But when they measured it out, everyone had just enough. Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough. Each family had just what it needed.

Then Moses told them, 'Do not keep any of it until morning.' But some of them didn't listen and kept some of it until morning. But by then it was full of maggots and had a terrible smell. Moses was very angry with them. Exodus 16:16–20 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment