Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lies our mirrors tell us

The looking glass lies. But it's not because the image is incorrect. It's because we can't see past our preconceptions to what is really there. Sure, we may pat down a stray lock of hair or swipe away smudged eyeliner. But who really knows what they look like? (BTW: photo = a guy's T-shirt? Most women would see the opposite view of themselves.)

I filled my university office with mirrors. The room, on the north side of the building, needed light. "What better way to illuminate a space than mirrors?" I thought. Plus, I like big airy spaces. I found the mid-grey paint dreary and without charm.


After moving in a long maple file cabinet and topping it with glass, I hung a tall mirror from desk to ceiling next to the windows. "Why do you rate a corner office?" asked one professor, perceiving another window in the reflection.

Then I bought a long accordion of eight two-sided 6'X2' mirrors previously used to display retail clothing and placed it against one dark wall. With its great view of the soccer fields, deep red, orange, and pink accents, and a round glass table... the room radiated brightness.

 "How can you work with so many mirrors in here?" asked my assistant, checking her makeup and fashions. "I'd be so distracted, always looking at my reflection!" I laughed aloud with delight at her antics and enjoyed her great sense of style. (Not a problem. I rarely glanced in the mirrors' direction: I don't care much what happens after makeup is applied and I walk out my front door.)

Scripture says God's word is our most honest life-mirror. I wonder if we get so accustomed to our religious culture and the words heard in many settings that we miss its meaning. Surely I would be sweeter, kinder, and more patient if I understood God's interest in humanity and his lovingkindness day by day. What changes is God's mirror requiring of us today?


Read more:
*Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I cry to You all day long. Rejoice the soul of Your servant, for to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You. Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon You, for You will answer me.

Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord; nor are there any works like Your works. All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord, and shall glorify Your name. For You are great, and do wondrous things; You alone are God. Psalm 86:3-10 NKJV

* All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord, and all your faithful shall bless you. Psalm 145:10

*Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 NIV

*Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, for he has looked favorably on his people and redeemed them. Luke 1:68

* Psalm 146 Zechariah 1,2; Revelation 18:1-10

Moravian Prayer: Knit us, Lord, from mountain to sea, from sky to earth, one shall we be. Blessed and redeemed by you are set free. Thankful to you, praising are we! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment