Thursday, December 15, 2011

Separated at birth

Twins separated at birth often have different experiences. But, especially if they are identical genetically, they may have similar personality traits and end up in similar jobs. Their core sameness influences everything they are and do.

I'm thinking about the genetics of being a Christian. What does it mean to be born into God's family? What traits should be automatic and obvious to everyone? No matter where we live, shouldn't some qualities be reflected, no matter because we are born into God's family? Shouldn't we look similar, no matter where we grow up and work?

Paul lists the fruit of the Spirit as norms for believers (Galatians 5:22-23) = ripening love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

I like people with those qualities, but too often don't find them growing very well in myself. Today I am feeling impatient and frustrated, waiting for a phone call that was promised yesterday. It's not like I don't have work to do, but my full attention feels diverted from my tasks.

I don't want to grow defects that would bring shame on the tree that bears us. Jesus said his Father pruned off branches that didn't bear fruit (John 15:2). So my prayer tonight is, "God, let me nourish the fruit of the Spirit, especially patience and gentleness."

Read more:
*Psalm 143:7-12 Micah 6,7; Revelation 13:11-14:5

*My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all day long, though their number is past my knowledge. Psalm 71:15 (NIV)

*Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14 (NIV)

*Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Rosemee, I see those fruits growing in you all the time. You are a role model for many, including myself! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete