Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday madness

After a day off, I hate Mondays. Chaos strikes! though it's always unpredictable what the extra work will entail before I can get to my studies. This week, I'm in hardcore study mode for an exam Wednesday, so I'm ready to hop to it.

Except. Nope. This morning, the dogs have pooped in their crate, so instead of sending them out to potty and getting to work, I have to clean the crate, toss the crate bedding in the laundry, and shower the dogs. I leave one animal outside while I carry the first up and wash him. Then I carry the second up for warm, soapy "punishment." Good thing they don't mind grooming, because I'm mad enough to give them a vigorous cleaning and towel-drying. They shake and run off down the hall, happy to be clean. Restart the washer. (I forgot. Dog towels get washed with dog bedding.)

A friend is bringing lunch for Kirsten, but when I go into the kitchen to grab tea and breakfast, the dirty tablecloth is still on the table from Sunday lunch, the counter is greasy, and there are assorted items lying around. Another half hour... gone.

It's so good to be under the care of the Creator of Time. Christian theology says God can redeem every part of our past, present and future. Nothing is wasted, but this morning feels pretty close.

Monday mornings remind me that not even a minute belongs to me. I relinquish the Sabbath to God, trusting him for rest. Then it's Monday again. Outa control. I think, "I wish I had worked harder on Sunday, etc." Then I tell myself, don't go there. The tablecloth may have been washed and returned to the table, the counters may have gleamed, but something would have been lost in the process. What that would be––besides a lack of unexpected chores––is unclear this morning!

I appreciate the balance of scripture, and reading the prayer below, I whisper, "Thank you God, because you are in control (I'm obviously not!) and everything will go as you have purposed. I will have time enough to pass (or fail), but it won't be because I didn't try my best."

Lord have mercy. On the challenges of your day and mine.

Read more:
*We put our hope in the LORD. He is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. Let your unfailing love surround us, LORD, for our hope is in you alone." Psalm 33:20–22

*You brought up my life from the Pit, O Lord my God. Jonah 2:6

*Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the foremost. 1 Timothy 1:15

Moravian Prayer: The Gospel is your gift, O Savior - the good news of your deliverance from despair. We are astonished that you do this for us who often fail to be faithful to you. We give you thanks throughout this day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment