Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent Day 3: Thankful for "no"

No snacks before bed. That's my Lenten discipline. Big deal? Maybe.

The Becoming Minimalist blog, "The Opportunity of Lent," challenges readers to ask, "What can't I live without?" Sad me -- "bedtime snacks" popped into my head. Mind you, I had just plunged my hand into a warm bag of kettle corn, propped up in bed watching "House." I eat enough during the day that I won't go hungry, so what's the big deal about denying myself snacks before bed?

From my bedside trash, I cleared bags for the snacks I've consumed over the course of a month:
  • chocolate chips (TJs vegan, eaten over 2+ weeks. Just sayin'. Shame on me.)
  • dark chocolate bar
  • veggie "chips"
  • kettle corn popcorn
How did those empty bags get in? I lost ten lbs in December by cutting down on huge meals and constant snacking. I haven't gained since and am at a good weight. My conclusion? It's time to fill myself on core food like salads, grains, and fruit which keep me fueled with few calories and many nutrients.

The Lent Minimalist blog reminded me that I am fully dependent on God.

When I abuse the abundance he provides or trust my own resources, abilities, and finances, idolatry and distractions easily capture my heart. I want to be devoted to God through my simple "no" this season. I trust it will remind me to say yes to a life fully devoted, with God's priorities and provisions guiding the way ahead.

I am grateful for the opportunities where God teaches me by helping me say, "No."

What about you? Click this link to read the Becoming Minimalist blog that inspired me.

Read more:
*Happy are those who make the Lord their trust. Psalm 40:4

*Thieves are jealous of each other's loot, but the godly are well rooted and bear their own fruit." Proverbs 12:12

*The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11 NIV

*Suddenly, a man in the synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit began shouting, 'Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!'

Jesus cut him short. 'Be quiet! Come out of the man,' he ordered. At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him. Mark 1:23–26

*If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. 1 Corinthians 15:19

Moravian Prayer: Lord God, our hope is in you and we are thankful your love for us remains unconditional. May we as a people delight in that love as we walk in your path of righteousness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment