Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 26: Thankful for good direction

"I heard you say ... but can you explain how your plan moves you toward that goal?" she asked me.

"Ummmm. I'm not sure it does." = Time to backtrack and rethink.

Jodi Detrich was one of several who have coached my academic and spiritual direction in the past few years. Tillie Porter sent daily verses for meditation. Such spiritual directors pinpoint strengths and weaknesses, how things fit together as we are growing in faith. They nudge (and sometimes push) us forward.

Mentors and friends like Jim and Jeannie Lowell, Joy Qualls, and Barbara Houger, who had completed doctorates, encouraged me to keep going:
  • "This experience is part of the academic process. Don't be discouraged."
  • "We also felt overwhelmed and muddled in the beginning. Things become clearer. Keep moving."
  • "Don't give up. Find out what the committee wants and write to that."
  • And one that I really appreciated: "The goal is not perfection but finished."
Along the way, my life mandate has become clearer. I've had many opportunities to connect people to relationships and resources.

I will write. I will teach. And whatever the next job is––should there be one––though the job description may include exchanging facts and information, it must include helping others to find the answer to these questions:
  • "What has God called you to do?
  • "Who are you willing to be––and what are you willing to do––to fulfill that calling?" 
 Then,
  • "How can we get you there?"
  • "What barriers can we remove?"
  • "Who do we know who could help? inform? make a path for you to get there?" (BTW: Alumni, ministers, and missionary cohorts are awesome circles of connections. My warmest thanks to alums and fellow students for everyone you've boosted when I sent them your way!)
I love to encourage others to move past fear, worldview barriers, and self-limitations to embrace their calling. It thrills me to watch someone plunge with all their might into the future while living fully in the day. I can hardly breathe for joy when I see others find the balance of worship, work, and play, no matter what their career path holds. After all, the point of life is not outward riches but the inner wealth of a life in harmony with its design and the Designer.

Thanks especially to those who continue to help me find the path God has marked out for me. The question came up yesterday three times, "Now what? What are you going to do with this degree?"

My answer?
Don't know.
Not worried.
Looking forward to it.

Life is good because God is great.

Read more:
*As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God? The Lord lives! Blessed be my Rock! Let the God of my salvation be exalted. Psalm 18:30-31, 46 NKJV

*May your eyes be open toward this temple night and day, this place of which you said, "My name shall be there." 1 Kings 8:29

*Jesus said, "Do not make my Father's house a house of merchandise!" John 2:16 (NKJV)


Moravian Prayer: We give thanks, O God, for the church that has nurtured us, helped us to grow in faith, supported us with its love and accepted us when we are rejected by others. The church has been your hands and your heart to us and has accepted us with all our hypocrisies, doubts, and fears. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Please read the last paragraph of my blog for yesterday! And thank you for the blessing you are!

    ReplyDelete