Friday, March 9, 2012

Lent Day 15: Thankful for meltdowns

The music flowed over me, harmonies splashing, melodies soaring, and rhythms relaxing in one worship song after another. It was time. Maybe past time.

Once in a while I have a meltdown. Winters are very hard on me: the lack of sun and time outdoors gradually shuts down my systems. This morning, after working in rooms away from my sun-simulator lamp for 2 weeks, everything collapsed. So I staggered over to piano and sat down, eyes closed and hands ready.

One after another, choruses and hymns of praise and thankfulness began to wash off the weariness of study, the darkness and grey climate, and the puttering that fritters away hours of depression. After a half hour, I opened my eyes and wiped away the tears. Renewed. I walked upstairs to my office and flipped on the lights (besides a south window, I have 5 overhead bulbs and a super-Verilux sun lamp). I opened my computer and started the day's work with a lighter heart.

Sometimes God needs us to come close, to relinquish the ideas and hopes of days past and future to wait near in his presence. As we open our hands and hearts in worship, he refreshes us from the inside out.

Jesus stole away for hours with his Father. As I worship, I remember, "Even in this, O Christ, you are a model of life and Life." Thanks be to God.

Do you need time with your heavenly Father today? What gifts can you offer him, that will refresh you and glorify him?

Read more:
*Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. Psalm 28: 6-7 NIV

*My words that I have put in your mouth shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouths of your children, or out of the mouths of your children's children. Isaiah 59:21

*The word of the Lord endures forever. That word is the good news that was announced to you. 1 Peter 1:25


Moravian Prayer: We give thanks to you, gracious God, for the gift of Christ - your communication of who you are and what you want us to be. We have experienced your good news and we are determined to pass it on to future generations through our words and actions. Guide us in this endeavor. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment