Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lent Day 20: Thankful for milestones

Today's the halfway mark of Lent. I miss my night snacks, a bigger discipline than one might suppose. Writing a daily Lenten blog gets tiresome about now, too. I'm not suffering; the point of the exercises is to remind me of Christ's sacrifices, living among poor villagers, walking from town to town, sharing good news with those who refused to be saved. And then dying. That awful dying. Before the glorious resurrection that proved his mission and God's power to redeem us. The disciplines help me to remember.

It's blustery and pouring rain, a good excuse to stay inside and study today, instead of walking the dogs. In our hilltop neighborhood of firs and tall maples, branches crash to the ground so high wind walks are a dumb idea. The cedars whip across the property line outside my office window. Our baritone chimes ring on the back deck, shouting joy and strength instead of complaining to the whistling air. (Click on audio to listen.)

I need that melodic encouragement as one of the biggest milestones of the last five study years approaches. Next Tuesday, I'm scheduled to defend my dissertation before the seminary committee.

I'm afraid. Anxious. My body's on high alert, tummy packing on a little fat roll, back knotted, and feet bouncing in nervous rhythms. My inner conductor stays in full swing, songs tumbling through my head night and day.

By this time next week, I'm hoping to be writing revisions. As the milestone of the defense approaches, I'm praying for focused study, quickened thinking, and clear speaking. I'd appreciate your prayers, too.

What milestones lie on your horizon? Some of you have medical treatments, financial deadlines, and relational challenges. Post a comment and we'll pray along with you that the fire of the Spirit will illuminate your path and your flight.

Read more:
*The Lord will give strength to His people. Psalm 29:11 (NKJV)

*Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NIV 

*In Christ Jesus you have been enriched in every way - in all your speaking and in all your knowledge. 1 Corinthians 1:5 (NIV)

Moravian Prayer: Gracious Redeemer, we thank you for empowering us today to speak for you. May we listen closely so the words we speak are truly the words you would have us speak. In addition, may our actions state an unmistakable message from you. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing dear Auntie. You are a strong woman and an amazing Daughter of the King. You will walk this milestone with His strength; you will make Him proud; you will succeed. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete