Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lent Day 31: Thankful for healing oil

I'm fending off the flu on a rainy day with one of Dad's magic remedies: oil of oregano. It's been over a year since I've been sick. The blog this morning is a ramble. Just a warning.

My body began to wilt yesterday at the birthday table (@Szechwan Chef in Bellevue.) We ate rice and peppered fish and my energy revived until nightfall. (The menu item, Szechuan boiled fish, sounded awful when the server recommended it on our first visit. Though we and our kids are not big seafood eaters, we risked it. It was fantastic and we've had it there ever since.)

I don't know if the oil and medicinal teas will help but I need my full day for editing. I can't wait to clear off my desks. I have a 3X5' table with 6 stacks of books (by category) plus an L-shaped desk where my computer and pages wait for edits. My file cabinet and paper file are full. At some point, when the writing is done, I get to purge and restore order. Ahhh. T'will be a happy day.

I'm optimistic about a tidy office. However, let's get real: though I'm drawn to the clean idea of minimalism, I won't ever be a minimalist. I have only a few medicines: oil of oregano, tea tree oil, baking soda for toothpaste, and Vicks Vapo-rub. Old standards. I stock up on a few cleaning supplies, the multi-purpose basics. (W stashes specialty items; I'd ask him if I needed them.)

The things I use often are obvious: our tea cupboard is filled with leaves in dozens of glass jars for liquid restoratives. Two cabinets of spices wait beside the stove, sealed containers ready to share smells before their tastes unfurl in food.

And it's the season to rejuvenate our living room. W oiled the dry wood tables this week and they look refreshed. Yesterday, I treated myself to two wonderful blankets from Pier 1 Imports. When I flung them over the sofas, the colors were perfect. I bought them because I liked them; the color-match is a bonus.


One has a muted front: the lime in the store becomes golden green in the gloomy lighting of the morning. But the cheerful fringe shouts to guests arriving at the front door. The pom-pom corners make me smile though I expect them to last until only Kinsey gives them a tug.

The other blanket has bright felted floral and bird appliqued on a creamy white to compliment the pillows. (You never know until you try. It's nearly always worth the risk, isn't it?)


The tired old cushions on the DR chairs have been consigned to the wash, replaced by bright beaded ones (@$2.38, reg. $24 each). Nope, those don't really match either. There are 5 of one, 3 of the other. Somehow it looks wonderful in place. [photos below: before and 2 afters. no surprise which is which.]




Life brings unexpected harmony, too. We start with ideas of how we will match this activity to that time and place. Then surprises derail our plans. Sickness or financial constraints limit our energy.

It's good to stay open to possibilities.

Somehow the details always work out. We look back to say, "God is good and I'm still here."

I'm trusting that the day will bring good work and solid progress. Steady efforts and small steps along with the oregano oil, I tell myself. I might have to pick up the pace since my dissertation revisions are due this weekend.

I'm looking ahead, beyond the obligations. The living room is waiting for me to snuggle up with a book among the restful "it's-almost-spring" tones.


Read more:
*Inquire first for the word of the Lord. 2 Chronicles 18:4

*Jesus also said, "The Kingdom of God is like a farmer who scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, while he's asleep or awake, the seed sprouts and grows, but he does not understand how it happens. The earth produces the crops on its own. First a leaf blade pushes through, then the heads of wheat are formed, and finally the grain ripens. And as soon as the grain is ready, the farmer comes and harvests it with a sickle, for the harvest time has come." Mark 4:26–29

*Continue in what you have learned and firmly believed. 2 Timothy 3:14

Moravian Prayer: Guide us, dear Lord, in our efforts to discern your will for our lives. As we turn to the scriptures, your guide for our faith and life, may we use all the resources at our disposal to understand and interpret their meaning for us. Keep us from shallow faith and unquestioning obedience and instead, help us to use our questions and doubts to be able to grow
in our commitment to you. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. you always told me to soak in a hot tub for at least an hour to help your body fight infections...so don't forget a lovely hot bath! Hope you feel better! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. My skin is getting parched from sitting in the tub so much! It's not only good for killing viruses but helps confine me for focus when I HAVE to read and edit. I'd probably have died in a shower-only apartment this year.

    ReplyDelete