Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"I never thought I'd die"

How hopeful are you?

Coast guard rescue of Ryan Harris: BBC report
Teen Ryan Harris and his friend Mac capsized into stormy Alaskan seas this week. His friend was able to pull on a survival suit and swim to shore. Ryan wasn't as lucky but he was inventive in the face of certain death. The BBC reported:

Mr Harris took refuge in a bin used to store fish, and the two men were soon separated by the waves.

Mr Harris said he repeated to himself for hours the mantra, "I'm Ryan Hunter Harris and I'm not going to die here", and sang Rudolf, the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Row, Row, Row Your Boat, he told the Daily Sitka Sentinel.

"I never thought I was going to die, but I was worried about Mac," Mr Harris told the newspaper.

Ryan, climbing out of the Coast Guard rescue basket
inside the helicopter
Teens seem to think they're immortal. It's cool that Ryan repeated his name as a living reference, telling himself he would survive this awful accident. And he did. He was rescued after 26 hours. That's a loooooong day!

"I cheer you on, Ryan! May God give you the pleasures of a close relationship with himself to give you joy all your days." Ryan's care for Max also proves his concern for others. Bet he's the type to cultivate friends for life.

How do you face insurmountable obstacles? What happens when you're sideswiped and thrown into deep waters?
  • Do you grab for the survival suit or the fish bin?
  • Do you think only of yourself or do you look around to help others?
  • Or ... do you give up hope and drift away into the freezing depths?
How have you faced the waves of death? Has it made you more optimistic or less trusting of the wide wide world and its opportunities and dangers?

Read more:
*The LORD protects those of childlike faith; I was facing death, and he saved me. Let my soul be at rest again, for the LORD has been good to me. He has saved me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling. 

And so I walk in the LORD's presence as I live here on earth! I believed in you, so I said, 'I am deeply troubled, LORD.' Psalm 116:6–10

*The steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep his covenant. Psalm 103:17-18

*Continue securely established and steadfast in the faith, without shifting from the hope promised by the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven. Colossians 1:23


Moravian Prayer: What a treasure it is to love one another, Lord, just as you have loved us. May that love be shared from generation to generation among your people. Cast aside our fear and doubt, proclaiming through us the good news of hope to all whom you put in our path. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment