Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How-to motivate the working self

Moss, baby tears, and mulch from
the yard = a mini-woodland
The office lights are on, the moss tray on the desk gleams with mist. Its earthy fragrance fills the room. I don't mind water on the ground. It's when water plummets through the air, soaking me and making the dogs stink, that I object.

What to do? What to do with my long list of must-get-dones today? I promise myself a break after I research for an hour. "There will be fresh hot tea and breakfast," I say to the reluctant me.

How do we motivate ourselves when we don't feel like working? I'd love to hear your tips!

Happy in the office window:
tilandsia on bogwood
Here are a few of mine:
  1. Deadlines are our friends. I'm more likely to persevere with a hard date for completing a task.
  2. Break big jobs into smaller goals. Celebrate (or at least acknowledge) when you achieve even the smallest milestone as progress toward the finish line.
  3. Intersperse tasks you don't enjoy with those you do. I dislike researching the pages of old writing but like reviewing the information I gather in my notebook.
  4. Make your workspace a pleasant place. My office is light, bright, and filled with plants and art. I like coming to the space. I look at pictures of the last few places I worked: each of them made my heart sing when I walked in the door.
  5. Work for rewards. If you're an employee, you work for money. Doing less than what you're hired to do means you're stealing from the company. If you're self-employed, your boss must make the job worth doing. For me, it's tea breaks, walks, and time off to read and write whatever I want.
  6. Ultimately, God is your boss. Focus on his pleasure while doing good work.
Read more: (Thanks, Tillie!)
*Surely God is my salvation;
    I will trust and not be afraid.

The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song;
    he has become my salvation.”

With joy you will draw water
    from the wells of salvation.

In that day you will say:
“Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done,
    and proclaim that his name is exalted.

Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
    let this be known to all the world.

Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
    for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.” Isaiah 12:2-6 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment