Friday, December 28, 2012

Daunting work

Friends of our just found out they're having a boy. The soon-to-be Mom and Dad posted their delight and anticipation. What will life hold for their little guy?

Today Roman Catholics celebrate the day of Holy Innocents, remembering the boys two years old and under in Bethlehem, slaughtered by Herod in his fear of displacement by the Newborn King. What mourning as the ruler exercised his right to the life and death of his subjects!

As I pondered the RC morning reading, I wondered at the lives changed by Jesus' arrival.

Joseph, like our young friend, had a challenging task ahead of him. He had been assigned to watch over and raise Jesus, a son.  What made Joseph's duty so daunting was that his boy was God's son, entrusted to Joseph's family during his childhood.

Not all adoptive fathers are equally receptive to the children in their homes. Many (including step-dads) nurture and train the kids. Some hold them at arms' length and never bond. Others abuse and mistreat them: their children hate men and grow up with a warped version of God as Father.

Judging from Jesus' interactions with people, Joseph did a good job. Jesus learned faithfulness, adherence to Jewish worship and customs, and was favored by his neighbors. My father certainly is my hero -- he cared for each of us four siblings and continues to love us to this day.

Will you pray with me that our friends -- and others about to be parents -- grow in faith and the knowledge of God to raise their child well? It takes the wisdom of Solomon and the leadership of Moses to do a great job of parenting!

Think about how your family, especially your father/s or lack of a father still influences your view of life. Do you think of God in light of your father?

Read more:
*Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;  even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Psalm 16:5-8 NIV

*May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, and may he so strengthen your hearts in holiness that you may be blameless before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13

Moravian Prayer: God of love, let us learn love, profound and defining, that gathers us when we are scattered. Anchor us in a loving and faithful community of believers that we may be at home in you. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment