Thursday, January 10, 2013

A life of storm and sunshine

Young woman preaching
I met three wonderful women in ministry yesterday. They're living life on the edge, in the midst of storms and sunshine.

1. On the phone, I talked to a recent graduate of NU. She's a part-time pastor, looking for a full-time post in children's ministry. "What do you like about your job?" I asked her.

"I love everything about it!" she enthused. "I love the children, I love the church, and I love being in ministry."

We talked about the opportunities and challenges of starting out with a heart called to serve as God's minister. She's stepping out into the life of ministry.

2. At my home. An MA student and female minister, working on the history of the Assemblies of God and its female ministers, spent the afternoon in my office. She browsed through my resources.

Powerful preaching
I felt so grateful for the women who studied and wrote ... and then shared their files, dissertations, and insights with me. I'm merely passing on what was passed on to me. It's a pleasure to hand over the goods to the next generation. This gal is walking strongly along the path of ministry.

3. At Starbucks. A treasured mentor and retired missionary spent a few hours telling me about her calling and ministry. I was thrilled to hear how God directed and sustained her, her husband, and her four kids.

I can't wait to write a sketch on her life for our credentialed women's newsletter. What a privilege to be a writer when such stories are waiting to be retold! This creative and resourceful pioneer has carved a path of faith.

Ordained women pastors in China
Three generations of women called and serving in ministry. I'm clinging on the fourth rung, wedged between the others. I'm looking on and cheering, glad that the Spirit fell on men and women for the proclamation of the Good News. (Click here for a video of women preaching.)

If you felt called to ministry, please tell us about it!

Read more:
*But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;" Isaiah 43:1-3a  NKJV

*Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
*Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to Jesus. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, “This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.” Luke 15:1-2


Moravian Prayer: Jesus, our redeemer, thank you for dying to save sinners; grant us courage to share the salvation story with those who are still lost. Blind our eyes and hearts from race, color, or creed.


Savior, thank you for your grace and mercy. We intercede today on behalf of all nations asking that this year we will surrender ourselves to you that you may melt and mold us into your likeness. In your name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment