Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Oh bed you're dead

A messy bedroom: thankfully not mine, before or after!
Is your bedroom relaxing and calm? Or do you heap 101 unfinished projects or books to read in the corners and on the furniture?

I thought it wasn't too bad on my side of the bed UNTIL I started clearing. Yesterday I emptied the drawers of my nightstand, washed the bedding, and hung the down duvets in the cold sunshine. Today I tackled the floor beside my bed: 5 magazines, 30+ books. 2 letters to be answered. That's a lot of reading; thankfully I'm well on the way through most of it.

A relaxing bedroom, also not mine
By the time I write, the publications are sorted, separated into library and mine, finished and must-read, and shelved. The fluffy sheepskin rug is shaken outside, the floor vacuumed, the furniture dusted, the long bins under the bed moved and replaced (DIY tools and purses in separate bins. Important things stay close at hand.)

I've stuck to my goals of re-homing something every day on Freecycle and having a bag or two every time a charity calls. Gradually, as I promised myself for the New Year, I'm leaving behind the past for the future.

The outside reflects what God is going on the inside, helping me shed old habits for new graces. I am grateful.

Australians can request household clearing
pickup from their city. Good idea!
Due to a  miserable cold, I have resisted going out to spread it. So I've missed two engagements I was really anticipating. Raclette with friends and a writers group. One has been rescheduled. One is a loss.

But my side of the bedroom is clean and tidy. "Never shun small gifts!" she tells herself as she smiles and tosses the dust rags into the wash.

What have you been putting off? Do you have an unexpected morning or evening to deal with it?

Read more:
Here's a marvelous "inner room of the heart" de-clutter and cleanup message, sent by my friend Tillie Porter:

*Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.


For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1-4 NIV

-----------------
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!
      
 Refrain:
        Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
        Look full in His wonderful face,
        And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
        In the light of His glory and grace.
 
  Through death into life everlasting
    He passed, and we follow Him there;
    O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
    For more than conquerors we are!
  
 His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
    Believe Him, and all will be well:
    Then go to a world that is dying,
    His perfect salvation to tell!
 
      -- Helen H Lemmel 1922

No comments:

Post a Comment