Thursday, February 7, 2013

Learning new stuff

The vocabulary of this week's tech class includes weird words and capital letters jammed together. VGA splitter. AirServer. Trello. TPT.

I didn't even know my Mac had IMovie. Never mind linking Apple phones, IPads and laptop.

This course reminds me of a previous "Basics of Computing" class I took 10 years ago. My daughter sat beside me and steered me back on track a few times each day. For her, the sessions were elementary. For me, they were eye-opening.

Back then, finding the Explore button on my Windows machine revolutionized how I used the computer. There was a system to finding files? WOW. Who knew? (My daughter: "Mommmm! Really?!")

Up to that point, I'd blindly try the keys. Often, magically, I'd find my way to my documents. Once in a while, I'd shut down the machine and start over. (Reminds me of how I used to drive in Vancouver as a teen: I'd hope to bump into 12th or Granville Street so I could zip back to the freeway by heading east. I had no idea where I was: those were my go-to prompts. Occasionally I'd have to circle around the city to bump onto one of the two roads.)

This week, I've learned more than what I came for. I've been introduced to tools to do work I've never considered. I got a chance to improve how to help others to set up new blogs. (Check out http://jefferyportmann.blogspot.com, http://craiggorc.blogspot.com, and http://daveecole.blogspot.com. Existing blogs include http://troyhjones.com and http://verlonfosner.blogspot.com.)

Do I know what's going on in the tech world after a few days of study? Not really.

But by going "out there" in a new field, I've discovered a few milestones that can help with future navigation. I'm excited to see how the information I've gathered changes my research and presentations.

How do you handle information you've never encountered?
  1. Compare it to what you already know. For example, digital files have many things in common with the old paper files.
  2. Contrast what you know with the new and different. The process of filing and the ease of sorting differs between paper and digital files.
  3. Use what is relevant. Discard or simmer on the back burner what is irrelevant to your context.
  4. Enjoy the ride! How privileged we are to have so many new tools for thinking about God and serving the world.
Read more:
*You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine. In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe. Psalm 4:7–8 NLT

*The heavens are yours, the earth also is yours; the world and all that is in it – you have founded them. The north and the south – you created them. Psalm 89:11-12 NLT

*“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.  I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—I, and not some foreign god among you.

You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “that I am God.  Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?” Isaiah 43:10-13 NIV

*For us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. 1 Corinthians 8:6
Moravian Prayer: Holy Parent, we pray in Jesus’ words and Jesus’ name that you will protect us and make us one with each other and with you, just as you and Christ are one. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment