Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mom gets the giggles

"You're doing what?" my mom exclaimed. "You're in class again? What for this time?"

"Coach training."

She started to laugh. "I hope you have a folder for all those papers."

It made me happy to hear my mom laugh. I chuckled along.

I don't do much with certificates of completion, though I did frame my PhD diploma. When we were cleaning the house to move, my Masters diploma appeared in a folder with pictures of our poodle, winning her championship in Wisconsin. That combination cracked me up.

Neither W nor I study just to study. We are insatiably curious about the world. God has filled it with wonders, whether those are relationships, ideas, or things. We're always thinking, "Tell us more!"

What do you love to learn? What fills your heart with amazement?

Read more:
*But, my child, let me give you some further advice: Be careful, for writing books is endless, and much study wears you out. Ecclesiastes 12:12 NIV

*I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge. 1 Corinthians 1:4-5 NIV

C.S. Lewis, on humility: "For each of us the Baptist’s words are true: “He must increase and I decrease.” He will be infinitely merciful to our repeated failures; I know no promise that He will accept a deliberate compromise. For He has, in the last resort, nothing to give us but Himself; and He can give that only in so far as our self-affirming will retires and makes room for Him in our souls."

“There is no end to learning, but there are many beginnings” ― Tim JohnsonBosley Sees the World


No comments:

Post a Comment