Sunday, December 29, 2013

31 Days in December #29: Speaking together

Two heads = one message
W and I preached together for the first time today, filling in for a pastor while he's gone. We've spoken together, but never been assigned a scripture passage to preach together.

We're planning to lead this way in Indonesia. What a joy to anticipate the future. What we're learning about working together:

  1. Two can be better than one. Though it's a model we don't often see, preaching and speaking together as partners keeps the listeners engaged and focused. 
  2. Flexibility is key. One's preferred style doesn't always work for a team effort, either in process or delivery.
  3. Conversations between us expand our own insights. W and I approach scripture from different angles: he is a theologian, while I read from a pastor's POV.
  4. Trust is important between partners. Neither of us worries that the other will come up with a wild rabbit-trail. Neither cares to hog the spotlight, either. After 36 years of marriage, we are confident in each other.
  5. Prepare carefully and improvise wisely. Public presentations are a pleasure when you're not locked into perfectionism. He'd rescue me if I got stuck and I'd do the same for him. 
  6. Trust God's Spirit to speak to the community of faith. This kind of presentation can be riskier than the traditional one-to-many lecture (one person in control of the content and delivery.) We shared what God gave us and invited listeners to respond publicly; that opened the conversation: the congregation shared their own comments and questions. What was God saying to them? What have they heard? In the process, the Spirit spoke to the whole community. (That thrills us!)
Collaboration requires
a steep learning curve
Have you collaborated with someone you trust and respect? 
  • How did the partnership work for you? 
  • Were you flexible enough to maximize your strengths? 
  • Was the outcome what you expected?
  • What would you try, improve, or omit the next time around?
Read more:
*I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done. Psalm 143:5 NIV

*I will recount the gracious deeds of the Lord, the praiseworthy acts of the Lord, because of all that the Lord has done for us. Isaiah 63:7 ESV

*(Paul wrote:) I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. Galatians 1:11-12 ESV

Moravian Prayer: Jesus, our Incarnate God, you are the wondrous gift that awes us. Continue to reveal to us your gospel, so we may always be drawn to meditate on it and proclaim it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment