Saturday, June 21, 2014

3 things I forgot

Yikes - as we were doing our prep, I forgot a few things.

1. God's in control of "done." When we get on the plane, everything that needs doing will be done. We've stressed a few times about the mass of "to-dos" that hover around us. For every item we check off the list, there are 10 more things to do.

However, things here will be left behind when we start our new life overseas. Remembering that takes off the pressure to get "every last thing" done. What's done will be done. Less important details I would have loved to do - but had to leave undone - will be left behind and I probably won't even think about them.

2. Never wear knits on itineration. This is huge for me; I never before thought too much about my weight. I've maintained a healthy shape by fitting into the same trousers for 10 years. When they got tight, I ate less or moved more.

This morning, I tried on all the trousers hanging in the closet, tossing into donation duplicates and those that don't fit. Unbelievable! My jeans and some of my lined dress trousers no longer fit. Why? I wore comfortable legging-style trousers for travel and packing up. What was I thinking? Now I'll have to lose the #X pounds I gained. Silly me. (No way am I dragging these pounds around the tropics! Mind you, the traveler's flu may help.)

3. Major transitions both energize and wear us out. We've cleared spaces, our normal routines (among them, W's classroom schedule and my hospitality and mentoring), and said 101 goodbyes.

The other day, as I woke to familiar textures and smells in a room I know, I got a mini-shock of scary anticipation. In 2 weeks the environment will have changed. Before getting out of bed, I may be thinking:

  • What's on the floor? (Do I step carefully out of bed to avoid bugs, roaches, and maybe a snake or lizard?)
  • What does it smell like? (Do I smell spices, lots of people, rice, exhaust, and palm trees rather than firs and forest?)
  • The air density (It's cool and dry in our basement; there, we may feel muggy, warm and dampness.)
Then God's presence settled around me with a phrase, "Watch my back." 

My mind's eye saw a clear picture of Jesus walking ahead, a swath of His glory trailing behind Him, and unknown circumstances gaining perspective around Him. 

Even Moses could not anticipate what God would do by looking at His face. God protected Moses from His Overwhelming-Awesomeness, planting him in the cleft of a rock. Then God passed by and said, "Watch the Glory in My wake so you will forever after have unswerving confidence in Me."

If we watch closely and follow where He is going, fixing our eyes on His back, we'll be part of His glorious adventure. The lyricist wrote: "Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to Your name give glory because of Your lovingkindness, because of Your truth." (Psalm 115:1 NASB)

Where is God leading you, day by day or hour by hour? Are your eyes fixed on your surroundings or on the back of God? Are you stepping confidently into his footsteps? Moving forward or pausing as He does? If anyone knows what the future holds, it's our God who always makes a way in the wilderness and slakes our thirst with springs in the desert.

Thanks be to God.

Read more:
*And Asa cried to the LORD his God, “O LORD, there is none like you to help, between the mighty and the weak. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this multitude. O LORD, you are our God; let not man prevail against you." 2 Chronicles 14:11 ESV

*Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:5 NIV

*Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness. Psalm 29:2 NIV

*O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. Psalm 71:17 ESV

*And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9 KJV 2000

*Paul wrote to Timothy: Continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of. 2 Timothy 3:14 NIV

Moravian Prayer: Our gracious Teacher and Leader, keep us ever mindful of your doctrines and practices so we may follow your lead and teach those we see every day. Bless all those who hear your word and respond. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment