Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Song and dance

Saturday, January 16.16
W walks to town (15 km) while I work at home. I call the kids. "Is there anything I can bring you?" I ask Kinsey, our 4-yr-old cucu. She requests shoes. "And how big are your feet?" I ask. She holds her feet up to the phone camera. Thanks. Helpful indeed.

In the afternoon, W goes on the weekly walk and takes Gypsy. He hammers his knees. During rainy season, grass grows on the trails and the foot lands below or above where expected. W ices his knees afterwards. Ouch.

Monday
Teachers help the kids scramble up the wall
to their seats. Yes, there were stairs.
DrW invites me to join her and her alumni class at Anklung Udjo. Years ago, a famous Sunda musician preserved traditional Sunda dance and music by building a theatre and anklung classrooms to train the next generation. He has passed away but his family maintains the center, which attracts locals and tourists.

The women are a diverse group. They live across Indonesia. Though they all studied agriculture (undergrad), they have become doctors, government officials, and have other distinguished careers. Many are still actively working but they make time to meet every second month. We share lunch: traditional Sundanese food and great company.
Good friends after so many years:
the WW (Wonder Women) and one Plain Jane
"We would love to have you join us regularly. You will learn the language more quickly if you speak with us." The president of the group is welcoming. They meet in Jakarta, sometimes in Bandung, and often elsewhere in Java.

The beautiful kids of Indonesia
I promise to come again when I resume language study in May or June. Their formal Indonesian is more useful in language practice than the village language spoken by helpers and local shop-keepers.
School kids enjoying the performance
Boys buying slingshots.
We all know what comes next.
One lady makes jewelry and brings it to sell. She shows me a necklace she made with fresh-water pearls and red coral. At $22, I decide to "buy it as a birthday gift from my husband" (haha - coming up soon).
Handmade art
"Wah, the price for you is less Rp50.000 ($3.70) less!" exclaims the gal next to me with a laugh. All the jewelry is beautiful - made with an artist's eye and love for detail.

I truly enjoyed these women and look forward to getting to know them.

Tuesday
My dear friend, happy birthday!
Sumathi and I get to celebrate her birthday, stopping on impulse at Haley's Café. It's supposed to be fusion Vietnamese food but I'll remember having a nice time with a girlfriend over a good dessert. Mind you, the lamb curry was tasty and the stuffed chicken not bad!

My mom's flying home from Europe today. In just over a week I'll be on the same continent (N Am). Can't wait to see the faces we love. My advisors have said, "God has chosen this time for a brief return. Enjoy it with all your heart!" so that's what I intend to do.

Read more: (ESV)
*The Lord makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters. Isaiah 43:16

*So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12 

*Jesus said, “Do not fear, only believe.” Mark 5:36

Moravian Prayer: Lead on, lead on, O glorious Lord. Lead us on the path of righteousness! Turn not back to see if we follow; we follow you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment