Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Having a look around

oh how the weeks fly by ... How about we catch up in pictures? We go to the Sunday market at 6:30 in the morning. We find vegetables,

and fish,


and chickens,

and baby chickens - painted all colors,

and spices.

Women buy food to cook ...

and plastics to store their food in.




I buy 10 little catfish for my aquarium jars and the bathtubs that serve as catch-ponds in the backyard. They're hanging on a stand, set in little plastic bags. We walk home slowly, gently handling the bags with the wriggling fish, and catch them - putting them in with our other tropical fish. Then we get ready for church.

We come back from church to find that, within a few hours of going into the tanks, the catfish have started to die among my other fish (which have been swimming around for 6 months and more). Over the next week, every fish dies off despite 3 complete water changes. I dump the mess into the flowerbed and wash everything clean before I start again.
Exotic chickens along the road
"Do you know the catfish that are served in the restaurants are from the same water as those little fishes?" a friend asks. "The toxins from the rivers and the pollution of everyone's sewage and laundry and kitchen sinks ... that's where they're swimming. That's what we're eating."
Typical waste pipes from neighborhood homes into the river (that feeds our kitchen and bathroom sinks
Apparently, the new little fish are already toxic. I've never eaten catfish in Bandung - and now I intend never to order one. Dead dead dead. Ugh.

After a week, I pour fresh water into the 5- and 8-gallon jars and scoop swordtails and platys from the neighbor's outdoor pond. They settle in just fine. No heater, light, or filter needed: I just change the water every week or two.

I'm doing a few art courses with a journaling link. To focus enough to catch up all the things I have to do, I need creative outlets. I play piano, draw, and paint.

A few of the online art courses are fantastic; some are so-so, but I enjoy them all. I've never drawn birds but a quick and easy demo goes into my journal.

A friend sends pastries. Here are one kind - what a treat to hear the bell ring, open the gate to the motorcycle delivery person, and find food gifts.

Weekend of May 5-6
Several friends graduate this weekend with masters or doctoral degrees. I'm CHEERING for you, each and every one! From far away, I send a picture to one: the coaster Kim bought me in March, a cup of tea, and some cookies with which I'm celebrating her. I'm so thrilled that they've persevered and completed this aspect of their education.

Our street is full of potholes but we love our neighborhood. The damage starts with bad construction (putting 1/2-2" of asphalt on a sandy surface won't hold, will it?) The rest of the holes are made by heavy vehicles like delivery and builder trucks, motorcycles, and torrential rains.

People work hard, as does this woman hauling recycling good in her cart.
This is long enough. I'll show you where we've been in the next post, ok?

Read more:
*The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you. Numbers 6:25

*O sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things. Psalm 98:1

*Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights. Habakkuk 3:17-19 NIV

*Jesus says, “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.” John 17:17

*Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord. Ephesians 5:19 NIV
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Corinthians 13:13
Moravian Prayers: Triune God, our Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier—you hold us in the embrace of your eternal love. May all our words and deeds this day, and every day, be pleasing to you and give glory to your holy name. Be with us and all those we hold dear. 
Glorious God, our voices are raised in joyful adoration and praise of you. Remarkable are your deeds; remarkable are your words. It is our privilege and delight to declare the faithfulness of your love, the joy of your salvation, and your unending mercy. May new songs be written and old songs be remembered and repeated by a future generation. We pray this through Christ, with Christ, in Christ, and in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment